Adult Male Friendships: How to Make Friends as a Man

This is the most embarrassing thing I've done as an adult.

Adult male friendship isn't weird—it's a skill. Show up, go first, and turn shoulder-to-shoulder into real brotherhood.

I was 29, sitting in my apartment on a Friday night, and I realised I hadn't spoken to another human being in about 36 hours. Not a word. Not even a "thank you" to a cashier, because I'd ordered everything through an app. My phone was full of messages — WhatsApp groups, Instagram notifications, a dozen unread emails — but not a single one was from a person who actually knew what was going on in my life.

I sat there and thought: When did this happen?

I had friends. I mean, I had had friends. School friends, university friends, work friends. People I'd laughed with until my ribs hurt. People I'd stayed up until 3 a.m. talking nonsense with. People I genuinely loved.

But somewhere between changing jobs, moving cities, and the general chaos of becoming an adult, those friendships had quietly faded. Not dramatically. Not with a fight. Just… drifted. Like a radio station slowly slipping out of range until all you get is static.

And here's the thing nobody tells you:

Making friends as an adult man is hard. Not because men are broken or because we're emotionally defective. But because nobody ever taught us how.

The Problem Is Not You

Before we get into the how, let's deal with the why. Because if you're reading this, you've probably already blamed yourself at least once. You've probably thought: Maybe I'm just not a people person. Maybe I'm too awkward. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

There isn't. You're just dealing with a problem that almost every man faces, and almost nobody talks about.

The numbers are wild. A Psychology Today article notes that 15% of U.S. men say they have no close friends at all. That's roughly one in seven men. In the UK, only 27% of men say they have at least six close friends — the number researchers suggest we need for good mental wellbeing. And a 2025 Gallup study found that 25% of young American men suffer from severe daily isolation.

But here's where it gets interesting — and where the usual narrative falls apart.

Research from the University of California, Santa Barbara, published in Sex Roles, found that the gender friendship gap is not universal. Black men and Latino men reported levels of friendship closeness similar to women. White men reported the lowest closeness — and that's what largely accounts for the "men are worse at friendship" narrative we all grew up hearing.

Read that again. The idea that men are inherently bad at friendship? It's not a universal truth. It's a cultural pattern — one that's strongest among white men in Western countries, and one that researchers are still trying to understand.

This matters for you because it means one thing:

You are not biologically doomed to be lonely. Your ability to make and keep friends is not fixed. It's a skill. And skills can be learned.

The Two Skills Nobody Taught You

According to Psychology Today, men who struggle with friendship typically have deficits in two areas: initiation skills and relationship-deepening skills.

Initiation is the hard part for younger men. You meet someone you vibe with, and then… nothing. You don't know how to move from "that guy I talk to at the gym" to "that guy I text on a random Tuesday." You don't know what to say. You don't know when to say it. So you don't. And the connection dies.

Deepening is the hard part for older men. You've got the friend — the one you've known for years, the one you'd help move a sofa for. But you don't know how to take it deeper. How do you go from talking about football and work to talking about life? How do you go from "buddy" to "brother"?

Sound familiar? Let's fix both.

Part 1: The Initiation Playbook

The 3-Second Rule

Stop overthinking. The next time you have a decent conversation with a guy — at the gym, at church, at a party, at work — don't let the moment pass. Within three seconds of the conversation ending, say something like: "Hey, I enjoyed this. We should grab a drink sometime."

That's it. No elaborate plan. No deep strategy. Just a simple, low-stakes invitation.

The key is to make it specific but not pressure-filled. Don't say "We should hang out sometime" — that's vague and easy to ignore or misunderstand. Say, "There's a place I've been meaning to check out. Want to join in next week? " You're offering something concrete.

The Nigerian Approach: Use Your Network

If you're in Nigeria, you've got a cheat code. A Medium article on making male friends as a Nigerian adult puts it perfectly: your family name opens doors. That uncle who knows everyone? That aunt who's connected to every family in town? Use them. If you meet a guy you think would make a good friend, run his surname through the family grapevine. If there's a connection, ask for an introduction. Family ties — even distant ones — make the friendship less awkward.

Even if you're not Nigerian, the principle applies: use your existing network. Mutual friends are the easiest path to new friendships. Ask a friend to invite both of you to something casual. Let the connection happen naturally.

The Third Space

The BBC's 6 Minute English covered this well: men need "third spaces" — places that aren't home or work, like sports clubs, reading groups, gyms, or community centres. Places where you show up regularly and see the same faces.

The magic isn't in the place itself. It's in the repetition. When you see the same guy every Saturday morning at the gym or the same group of men at church every Sunday, the familiarity builds automatically. You don't have to force conversation. It happens organically, while you're doing something else.

Find your third space. Then keep showing up.

Part 2: The Deepening Playbook

Move from "Shoulder to Shoulder" to "Face to Face"

Here's the thing about male friendship: we connect shoulder to shoulder. We bond through shared activities — watching football, playing games, working on projects, lifting weights. Women tend to connect face to face — through conversation, sharing, and emotional disclosure.

Neither is better. But shoulder-to-shoulder connection alone has a ceiling. It's fragile. It depends on the activity continuing. The moment the routine breaks, the friendship fades.

So here's the move: use shoulder-to-shoulder to build the foundation, then introduce face-to-face moments.

You've been playing football with the same guys for months? Great. Now suggest grabbing food after the game. You've been gym buddies for a year? Now suggest a coffee after a session. You're not abandoning the activity — you're adding a layer. You're creating space for actual conversation.

The One Honest Sentence

This is the hardest one. I know it. I've been there.

The next time a friend asks how you're doing, don't say "fine." Say something true. Not a monologue. Not a therapy session. Just one honest sentence.

"Honestly, work has been heavy lately."

"I've been feeling kind of alone these days."

"I'm going through something, man."

Then stop. Don't explain. Don't apologise. Just let it sit.

Most of the time, the guy will say something like "Yeah, me too" or "I feel you." And that tiny crack in the wall — that moment of honesty — is where real friendship starts. Not in the jokes or in the banter but in the silence after you've said something real.

Research from Sex Roles found that the friendships of Black and Latino men tend to be closer than those of white men, and researchers suspect it's because these communities don't stigmatise emotional closeness between men as much. The lesson? Cultural norms shape what's possible. And you can start changing your own norms today.

The Standing Invitation

One-off hangouts are nice. They don't sustain you. What sustains you is routine.

Create a standing invitation. A weekly thing. A monthly thing. Something that doesn't require planning every time.

"Every second Saturday, we grab lunch."

"Tuesday nights are for the game."

"First Friday of the month, we check in."

The activity doesn't matter. The repetition does. It gives you something to look forward to and something to fall back on when life gets hard.

The 5-Day Rule

When someone cancels on you — and they will, because life happens — don't take it personally and don't wait for them to reschedule. Follow up within five days.

"Hey man, missed lunch last week. Same time next week?"

This does two things. It shows you actually want to see him. And it removes the awkwardness of him having to reach out after cancelling. You're taking the initiative. You're making it easy.

Part 3: The African Urban Reality

Let's talk about something the Western friendship discourse usually skips: the specific challenges of building male friendships in African cities.

In Lagos, Nairobi, or Accra, the barriers are different. It's not just about emotional stoicism — it's about economics, time, and space. The city is huge. Traffic is brutal. Everyone is grinding. The cost of a night out is real. The extended family system that once provided automatic social connection is thinning out in urban areas. And there's a unique pressure on African men: you're expected to provide, to solve, to be the strong one. Admitting you're lonely feels like admitting you're failing at being a man.

The good news? There's a growing movement addressing this. In Lagos, the BFF Festival — which grew out of Adetoun Jegede's book Building Forever Friendships — drew 9,000 people in 2026, with a men's panel explicitly titled "Strong Men, Strong Bonds: Breaking the Myths Around Men's Mental Health, Vulnerability, Money and Friendship." The panel encouraged men to embrace vulnerability and build genuine brotherhood.

This is the tide turning. The conversation is happening. And you can be part of it.

The Real Barrier (And How to Break It)

Let me be honest with you. The biggest barrier to male friendship isn't skill. It's not time. It's not money. It's fear.

Fear of rejection. Fear of being seen as needy. Fear of what other people might think. A study published in Sex Roles found that heterosexual men often avoid emotional closeness with male friends because they worry it might signal romantic interest — a fear that researchers say perpetuates "a stigma against intimacy with men."

That fear is real. But here's the thing: it's mostly in your head.

The guys you want to befriend? They're lonely too. They're waiting for someone to reach out. They're hoping someone will go first. They're scared of the same things you're scared of.

Someone has to break the silence. Let it be you.

What You Actually Need to Do

If you take nothing else from this article, take this:

Show up. Find a third space. A gym, a church, a club, a volunteering group. Go regularly. See the same faces. Let familiarity do its work.

Go first. Don't wait to be invited. Send the text. Make the plan. Extend the invitation. The awkwardness lasts five seconds. The connection lasts longer.

Deepen the connection. Move from shoulder-to-shoulder to face-to-face. Grab food after the game. Get coffee after the gym. Create space for real conversation.

Say one honest thing. When someone asks how you're doing, don't lie. Start with one sentence. See what happens.

Make it routine. Turn one-off hangouts into standing invitations. Give yourselves something to look forward to.

Follow up. When someone cancels, reach out again within five days. Don't take it personally. Just make it easy for them to say yes.

Get help if you need it. If loneliness has turned into depression, anxiety, or thoughts of hurting yourself, talk to a professional. That's not weakness. That's wisdom.

A Final Word

I wish I could tell you I figured this out on that lonely Friday night. I didn't. It took me months of awkward texts, cancelled plans, and moments of wondering whether it was even worth the effort.

But here's what I learned:

The men I now call my closest friends? They were once strangers I had to reach out to. They were once acquaintances I had to invite for lunch. They were once guys I had to risk looking foolish in front of.

And every single one of them was grateful I did.

You don't need a hundred friends. You don't need to become some hyper-social version of yourself. You just need a few men who know you — really know you. Men who check in on you. Men you can call at 11 p.m. when everything falls apart.

That's not weakness. That's wealth.

Now go text someone.

Written by a Praelex Man, Edited by Chidiebere Daniel

Related reading:


Previous Post Next Post